Last Updated 9/17/2012
Thank you for visiting WorkReimagined.org. Work Reimagined is a property of AARP, dedicated to helping people navigate the shifting world of work, to discover what’s next in their lives, or to plan their steps towards the future. Protecting your privacy is important to AARP and we respect the privacy of every visitor to our websites. The following policy explains our online information practices. This Policy may be changed or updated from time to time. By visiting WorkReimagined.org, you accept the practices described in this Policy.
2. Information Collected From This Website
When you visit this website, some information, such as the site that referred you to us, your IP address, and navigational information, may be collected automatically as part of the site’s operation. We also collect information we receive from you during registration and from other forms, such as your name, location, date of birth, occupation, and gender; and information we receive from third parties. WorkReimagined.org collects both information that may identify a particular individual (“personally identifiable information”) and anonymous information that cannot be associated with a specific individual (“non-personally identifiable information”) from or about users of its web sites.
Information we collect automatically on the Work Reimagined web site. Work Reimagined may collect certain information automatically (either directly, through the use of “cookies,” or through the use of a third party tracking system), including:
• Your browser type and language, and operating system;
• Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
• IP addresses are not usually associated with your personal computer, but with a portal through which you accessed the Internet. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
• access times;
• information about areas of the site visited by users of the site;
• Sites you visited before and after visiting the Work Reimagined web site;
• Web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within the Work Reimagined web site;
• Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law;
• Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies;
• A “cookie” is a piece of information a web site sends to your computer while you are viewing the web site to remember who you are without personally identifying you.
• Web beacons (sometimes called transparent GIFs, clear GIFs, or web bugs) are small strings of code that provide a way for us to deliver a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an email. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on your computer such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, and a description of the page where the web beacon is placed.
• Information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded;
• Upon request, your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs installed on your computer; and
• Standard server log information.
Information you provide directly to the Work Reimagined web site. You are not required to provide information about yourself when you visit Work Reimagined’s web site. However, in order to help us better serve you, Work Reimagined’s web site may ask you for some or all of the following types of information when you register for certain services, access various content or features, or directly contact the Web Site:
• Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, facsimile number, and mobile number;
• User name, password, and password reminder questions and answers;
• Age and date of birth;
• Other demographic information, such as gender, employment information, and zip code;
• Information for a public profile, such as your interests, your profile photo, personal updates and descriptive information that you provide, and the address of your Facebook page, LinkedIn profile, Twitter, Pinterest, or your web site;
• Communications preferences, such as which emails and newsletters you would like to receive;
• Search queries;
• Contact information about others when you provide information about others or refer a friend to a particular site or service;
• Correspondence you send to us; and
• Information collected about you offline (including via facsimile, mail, or in person).
Information we obtain from other sources. We may collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications (such as mobile devices and third-party services), from Service Providers, and from commercially available sources (such as data aggregators and public databases). The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
• Name, postal address, and telephone number;
• Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
• If you access third-party services (such as Facebook Connect) through the Work Reimagined web site, your username and password for those services and other information available about you on those services;
• Your interests and purchase behavior;
• Publicly-observed data, such as activities on blogs, videos, and other online postings; and
• Other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
Please note that all of the information we collect about you may be combined, and it may be used to help us tailor our communications to you.
3. Information Collected By Third Parties
We may allow third parties to display advertisements on our site. These companies may use tracking technologies, including cookies, to collect information about users of our site who view or interact with these advertisements. AARP does not provide personally identifiable information to these third parties.
4. How We Use Your Information
We use the personally-identifiable information you provide to us through this site in order to:
• deliver the products or services you have requested;
• provide you with customer support;
• communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone, and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us, our marketing partners, or other third parties;
• display advertising tailored to your interests or background;
• perform data and statistical analysis on use of the web site;
• enforce our terms and conditions, and perform any other functions otherwise described to you at the time we collect the information.
The information we collect may be shared with our subsidiaries, agents, vendors, marketers, third party content providers, affiliates, and selected other entities for similar purposes.
5. Disclosure of Information
Work Reimagined is committed to maintaining your trust and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share information collected about you.
• With your consent. You may be asked to consent to have your contact information shared with third-party business partners.
• Corporate Affiliates. We may share information we collect about you with affiliated companies, so we can provide you with information about products and services that might interest you.
• Legal Requirements. AARP and Work Reimagined will disclose your personally-identifiable information in response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement agency or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law.
• Protect our web site and users. We will disclose your personally-identifiable information when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of our company, our employees, our web site users, or others; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
• Business Transfers. We may share your personally-identifiable information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of AARP or Work Reimagined, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
6. Our Security Procedures
AARP and Work Reimagined have put in place commercially reasonable physical, procedural, and technological security measures to help prevent unauthorized access to and improper use of the information we collect online. For example, only authorized employees and authorized third parties are permitted to access personally-identifiable information, and they may do so only for permitted business functions. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your nonpublic personal information. No web site or Internet network can be completely secure. Although we take steps to secure your information, we do not guarantee, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Please refer to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s web site for information on how to protect yourself from identity theft.
In order to interact with WorkReimagined.org, we require you to use a password to protect your account from unauthorized access by others. If you do allow others, including family or household members, to access WorkReimagined.org with your personal password, please understand that you are responsible for the actions of those individuals. It is important to understand that the information you submit in personal profiles, message boards, journals, chat rooms, interactive features, and user groups may be publicly displayed. Your messages will be seen by people and organizations not related to AARP and WorkReimagined, and may be used by these third parties to contact you. As a result, you should be very careful about the information that you publish online. You can control whether or not specific information that you submit is publically visible or visible only to you by updating your personal settings on WorkReimagined.org. Read the Terms of Service to learn more about interacting through Work Reimagined’s online community.
7. Your Choices and Opting Out
You can choose to enjoy some of the content and features on Work Reimagined’s web site without directly providing us with any information about you; however, as described above, registration is required in order to take advantage of certain features and services offered on Work Reimagined’s web site.
If you do not want to receive communications from us, you can contact us at any time to opt out by sending an email to email@example.com. Please note that if you opt out of receiving communications from us, you still may receive such material from our third party content providers, affiliates and other parties to whom we provide your information in the course of doing business, as explained above. If you do not want us to share your information with providers of AARP member products or services, you can opt out by contacting us as specified below, and you will stop receiving the communications in about 12 weeks.
If you would like to review and/or request changes to the personally identifiable information that we have collected about you through your use of the Work Reimagined web site, please contact us by writing or sending email to the addresses below.
If you ask us to shut down your account or delete your information, we will disable your account within a reasonable period of time. Please note that we may need to retain some information about you in order to satisfy our legal and security obligations. For example, some of your information may remain in back-up storage even if you ask us to delete it. In some cases, you may be entitled under local laws to access or object to the processing of information that we hold relating to you.
9. Do Not Call Registry Compliance
By submitting personal contact and/or financial information the user hereby grants permission us, our affiliated sites, and our business partners for contact via telephone, mail, and/or e-mail. Further, by registering you are consenting to receive phone calls from us, our affiliated sites, and our Service Providers for contact via telephone, and thereby registrants waive their right to file a claim with the FTC or any other agency in reference to these calls or contacts.
10. Visiting From Outside the United States
AARP is headquartered in the United States. Please be aware that information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of the Work Reimagined web site may be processed and transferred to the United States and be subject to United States law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By using and participating in the Work Reimagined web site or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States.
11. California Visitors
Residents of the State of California may request a list of all third parties to which the Work Reimagined web site has disclosed certain information during the preceding year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please contact us by email. For all requests, you must put the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in the body of your request. Please note that we will not accept requests via the telephone, mail, or by facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
12. Children’s Privacy
Our web site is not intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally-identifiable information from children under the age of 13.
AARP’s and Work Reimagined’s policies, content, information, disclosures, disclaimers and features may be revised, modified, updated, and/or supplemented at any time and without prior notice at the sole and absolute discretion of AARP. Changes to this Policy will be posted on the Work Reimagined web site and we will revised the “last updated” date at the top of this policy. You should review this Policy each time you access the web site. If we make any material changes in the way we collect, use, and/or share personal information that may impact you, we will notify you by sending an email to the email address you most recently provided to (unless we do not have an email address for you) and/or by prominently posting notice of the changes on this web site.
AARP Membership Center – Work Reimagined
3200 E. Carson St.
Lakewood, CA 90712
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any privacy concern.